As of September 21st 2015 at 15:34 PST / 23:34 GMT, we are working to resolve the following service incident:
Access issues affecting our west coast data center.
- 16:13 PST / 00:13 GMT: We are continuing the investigation of service-impacting issues affecting our west coast data center.
- 16:36 PST / 00:36 GMT: We are continuing our investigation into performance issues affecting our west coast data center.
- 17:08 PST / 00:08 GMT: We are continuing our investigation into performance issues affecting our west coast data centre. Next update in 30 minutes.
- 18:00 PST / 01:00 GMT: We are seeing improvements in the performance issues affecting our West Coast data centre, We will continue to monitor this closely.
- 18:32 PST / 01:32 GMT: All known issues related to the West Coast data centre have been resolved. When completed, post-mortem will follow.
On Monday, Septemeber 21st, all of US West and EU data centre (Zopim only) were affected by multiple DDoS (Distributed Denial of Service) attacks. As a result, our network was entirely overwhelmed by the inbound connections and could not accept any legitimate requests. Some data centres experienced a complete service disruption, causing Zendesk and Zopim to be inaccessible for all clients.
Notification of the issue occurred immediately and we followed our standard DDoS mitigation protocols; however, we're testing new tools that work to detect and respond to DDoS faster and, at that time, they have only been deployed to other data centres, not targeted by this attack.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
Please subscribe to this article for regular updates until the issue is resolved. If you aren't subscribed to our Twitter feed, we encourage you to do so in order to get the most current information about any service issues. We also record all site outages on our system status page where you can see the past 12 months of service uptime. If you have questions about this issue, please open a ticket with us by sending a note to email@example.com.